The Apache Junction City Council met last Tuesday, September 18, 2018, in Chambers.
Mayor Jeff Serdy read a proclamation designating the week of September 23, 2018, through September 29, 2018, as Child Passenger Safety Week, which was accepted by AJPD Lieutenant Thomas Parker. Mayor Serdy also read a proclamation designating September 17 through 23 as Constitution Week. Karen Barks and Carol Wilson from the Apache Trail chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution accepted the document.
The Council unanimously approved:
- An application for a temporary extension of premises from Elks BPOE#2349, 2455 N. Apache Trail, Apache Junction, for the Apache Junction High School Reunion Mixer on October 5, 2018;
- An application for a special event liquor license from the Pinal County Veterans Memorial Foundation for an event to be held at Dolce Vita, 3301 S. Goldfield Road, Apache Junction, on March 3, 2019 and;
- An application for a special event liquor license from the Apache Junction Chamber of Commerce for an event to be held at Flatiron Community Park, 100 N. Apache Trail, Apache Junction, Arizona, for Nov. 10, 2018 and Nov. 11, 2018.
- Resolution No. 18-30 (case GPA-1-18) by Amerco Real Estate Company and U-Haul International LLC. GPA-1-18 is a proposed general plan land use map amendment to redesignate 50 acres of a 78-acre property at the southeast corner of US-60 and S. Idaho Road, from Community Commercial to Light Industrial/Business Park passed 6-0. (Councilmember Christa Rizzi, who has a U-Haul business, recused herself.)
- Ordinance No. 1463 (case PZ-2-18), the companion rezoning to case GPA-1-18, was continued to November 20, 2018.
- Resolution No. 18-31 (case GPA-2-18) for a land use map amendment to the city’s general plan, proposing to redesignate a +/-38 acre property at the southwest corner of E. Old West Highway and S. Goldfield Road, from Community Commercial to Medium Density Residential, so that the property may later be developed with a conventional single family homes subdivision passed unanimously.
Council also unanimously approved proposed Resolution No. 18-27, amending the procurement procedures and proposed Ordinance No. 1462 adopting the amendment for the procurement procedures.
The next council meetings will be held October 1, 2018 (Work Session) and October 2, 2018 (regular session) at 7p.m.
Events happening this week that were announced by the Council included the Apache Junction High School Homecoming Bonfire on Thursday, September 27 at 6:30 p.m. and the Friday, September 28, Homecoming game at 7 p.m.
City Council meetings are open to the public and held in chambers at 300 E. Superstition Blvd. in Apache Junction. The meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. Complete agendas and supporting materials are available at https://apachejunction.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx.